When people are hurt on the job, they have some options for what they can do. Workers compensation programs exist to help workers so that they do not end up suing their employer for help with their recovery. If you are about to file such a claim, there are a lot of things a workers compensation lawyer can do to help make sure you are successful.
- They can work with you on your initial claim. When you are filling out your initial claim, you can use the help from a competent workers compensation lawyer. You can focus on the things you need to focus on like getting medical treatment. The workers compensation lawyer can be tasked with making the deadlines, compiling supporting documentation and everything else that needs to be done so that you can get the compensation you need.
- Your attorney can take the time to explain the workers compensation program and what you can expect to receive. Many people do not really understand what compensation they are entitled to receive after they have suffered an injury at work. Some programs in certain states will put out charts with what people can expect to receive depending on the kind and severity of their injuries. Your lawyer can go through all of this with you so you understand what you should expect to receive.
- They can help you prove your case. There are times when there are a ton of witnesses when you are hurt at work. There are other times when you might need to prove that your injuries were sustained at work. You may not have to physically be on your employer’s real estate to be eligible to receive workers compensation benefits. If you are off site but are doing your job when you are hurt, you are still working so the workers compensation program applies to you. When you work with a workers compensation lawyer, they can walk you through what you should be able to receive much in the same way personal injury attorneys can explain what people can expect from a personal injury lawsuit.
- They can help you file your appeal. When you file your original claim, you should know that a large percentage of workers compensation claims are rejected. There is an appeal process but you have only a set amount of time in which you need to get your paperwork in. If you did not get the help of a workers compensation lawyer for the initial claim, or even if you did, they can make sure you get everything in one time and that it is all in order when you send it in. Sometimes claims are rejected and the reasons given are that the person was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, had injured themselves intentionally or because the worker was negligent. Your lawyer can help you navigate this part of the process.
- They can help you get your witnesses in order. If you need to have people testify to the extent of your injuries, to what happened and to speak at a hearing about who was to blame for your injuries, you should get legal help in collecting witness statements and also getting them ready for any hearings that are held on your claim. They will also know what questions you need to ask when you call them to testify about your injuries.
- They can help you determine if you should settle. The time may come when you are offered a settlement that is just the best you can hope to get. Your lawyer can work with you to make sure you settle at the right time and do not take a settlement package that is less than what you deserve and should be able to expect.
The majority of workers compensation cases are caused by falls at work. Approximately 85% of all claims are made after someone falls on a slippery floor. Nearly three quarters of all states have requirements for businesses to carry workers compensation insurance. If you are considering filing a workers compensation claim, hiring a good lawyer for this can make all the difference for you.